External beauty is certainly a reflection of internal health and wellness but a healthy diet, regular exercise, and a good night’s sleep may often play second fiddle to genetics. Embedded in your very DNA, no matter how hard you might try to fight it, is the code that predicts your face’s future.
When exercise, diet, and restful sleep are no longer enough to keep away the forehead furrows, “11’s” (the two vertical lines between your eyebrows), and crow’s feet, consider adding injectable wrinkle-fighters, BOTOX®, DYSPORT®, or other similar ones like Puretox and XEOMIN®, to your comprehensive anti-aging regimen. BOTOX®, DYSPORT®, Puretox and XEOMIN® injections provide quick and natural rejuvenating benefits that allow you to maintain your competitive advantage at work and socially. It’s not just women who use BOTOX®, men love it too, and the rising trend has been referred to as Bro-tox!
BOTOX® and its newly FDA-approved alternatives, DYSPORT® and XEOMIN®, are made from the same stuff, botulinum toxin Type A. A less popular version of botulinum toxin B, Myobloc, is also currently available outside of the US. They all work by blocking nerve impulses to overactive facial muscles. When the muscles that cause repetitive facial movements are relaxed, wrinkles on the brow and around the eyes disappear. It’s little wonder then that these are among the most popular wrinkle treatments around. According to data released by the ASPS, BOTOX® and DYSPORT® use is up by 99% since 2000!
Despite the scary-sounding name, BOTOX® is Not Botulism, BOTOX® has been in the US for more than a decade, and DYSPORT® and XEOMIN® were being used in Europe (where DYSPORT® was known as Reloxin) long before gaining approval for use in America. When in competent hands, each product has an excellent safety profile. Each must be injected every few months (it varies depending on the individual and on which product is used with injection results typically last 3 to 4 months) and each product produces results. So, what are the major differences among these facial/dermal fillers?
- XEOMIN® is the only one of the three that doesn’t need to be refrigerated. This can translate into less expensive shipping charges and ultimately may make its injection price the most competitive.
- DYSPORT® is less expensive than BOTOX®, which has been a household name for years now. As one of the “new kids on the block,” DYSPORT® injections command a slightly lower price than BOTOX® injections.
- DYSPORT® may produce results a little faster. Both BOTOX® and XEOMIN® injections produce full results in about a week, but patients report seeing full results a little quicker with DYSPORT® injections –generally, 3-5 days.
- Injection results for all three appear to have a similar duration.
- They’re not the same strength. So injection doses for BOTOX®, DYSPORT®, and XEOMIN® are not interchangeable.
- DYSPORT® may have a more diffuse action. In other words, instead of staying precisely where it’s injected, DYSPORT® may spread out a little more. In some instances, this can be an advantage (for example, when you’re treating a big area, like the entire forehead). It can also raise the risk of relaxing the wrong muscle, causing a droopy eyelid or other problem.
- Risks with either product are few and very rare. Adverse reactions to occur in fewer than 2% of patients and include headache, eyelid swelling, bruising, and upper eyelid drooping. Dr. Yagoda (based in New York City/ Manhattan) will discuss all the potential risks during your consultation.
- XEOMIN® is referred to as a “naked” neurotoxin, meaning it has no additives. Theoretically, this may reduce the uncommon possibility of developing resistance over time. At this point, this claim is only hypothetical. By comparison, resistance to DYSPORT® has not been reported, and resistance to BOTOX® is quite rare.
Dr. Yagoda a BOTOX Expert in New York, NYC and Manhattan has no commercial affiliation with DYSPORT®, BOTOX®, or XEOMIN® but welcomes the competition and expects that it will lead to more economical pricing and greater accessibility.