What is collagen and why is it important?
- Collagen is a peptide that is responsible for your skin’s strength and vigor.
- A deficiency in dietary protein causes reduced cellular turnover, decreased DNA repair, fragmentation of collagen and elastin, and skin wrinkling and laxity.
- Supplementation with hydrolyzed collagen was shown to stimulate collagen-producing cells in humans.
- Daily oral ingestion with collagen hydrosylate of 2.5 grams or more per day, will statistically and significantly increase skin hydration and decrease skin wrinkles.
- So, if firmer skin is your objective, incorporating collagen into your regimen is important.
How do you incorporate collagen into your skincare regimen?
The short answer is…in your diet! Because collagen is a large molecule, and because your skin’s main function is to act as a barrier, topical collagen is not well absorbed into the skin. Interestingly, your body can create collagen, if you consume (and absorb) a lot of proteins. But, according to the Centers for Disease Control, 33% of people over the age of 18 (and this number increases with advancing age and certain medical conditions) have difficulty absorbing nutrients even from a healthy and balanced diet. For these people, supplementation is important both to correct insufficiency and to bypass problems with absorption.
How do you select the right collagen supplement?
- First, you need at least 2.5 grams of collagen hydrosylate, in powder form, consisting of types I and III, per day.
- Types I and III target the skin, hair and nails, while type II primarily target bones and joints.
- Collagen powder should be given in the proper ratio with zinc, manganese and copper for optimal absorption.
While there are many collagen supplements on the market, only BeautyScoop (for youthful skin, lustrous hair and long, strong nails) and BeautyMe (for healthy, fresh skin on your period) are patented and clinically proven. Each contains 3.5 grams per serving of types I and III collagen (in powder form and in the proper ratio with zinc, manganese and copper for optimal absorption). BeautyScoop’s rapid results are unsurpassed and are clinically proven by ten years of rigorous scientific studies that were double blind, placebo-controlled, randomized, prospective and run by independent doctors. These clinical studies were published in the Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences.